Sunday, February 14, 2010

El Chalten


El Chalten (population 1800) is a wonderful little town located within National Park boundaries in Parque Nacional Los Glaciares. El Chalten boasts one ATM (that runs out of money every weekend), two main streets, and one fantastic mountain range, the Fitz Roys. From the town of El Chalten all of the major trailheads are accessible by foot, making it very convenient to hike for 6-8 hours a day and then return to your hostel for a quick shower and proper meal.

The entire town to El Chalten.

The first day we hiked to Laguna Torre which sits below the towering pinnacle of Cerro Torre(3128m). The hike was aa gorgeous with views of Cerro Torre for nearly the entirety of the 3-4 hour hike to the summit.

Some weird Lord of the Rings type moment on the hike to Laguna Torre.


The summit at Laguna Torre.


Looking down into a valley adjacent to El Chalten on the hike home.


On Day two Alexi and Nick were feeling under the weather so I hiked Laguna de los Tres on my own. It was the easily the best hike I have had in South America. The hike takes your past glacialy fed streams that you can drink straight from and up a step one hour final ascent to the summit of Laguna de los Tres.

On my way to the summit.

The view from Laguna de los Tres was spectacular and warranted a nearly 2 hour break to admire the view and soak in the perfect weather.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am from Córdoba (Arg) and I was in El Chaltén in 2012. I loved it too and It is probably my favourite place in the world

    ReplyDelete